Our Shared Vision
What if every single child in this community had the opportunity to reach their full potential?
We—the Duluth/Superior region—like many communities nationwide, have witnessed an overall diminished sense of community. We’re losing that sense of basic human connection with our neighbors. We’re moving further and further away from each other in an emotional way. And our kids are suffering for it.
Right now, 3,346 children in Duluth and 1,038 children in Superior are living in poverty. That means a whole lot of our kids—those we see in our schools and neighborhoods every day—don’t have access to the same opportunities as others to reach their full potential.
Kids right here in our communities, in our neighborhoods—the kids we should be thinking of as our kids—are being deprived of the ability to thrive—to have access to the same financial, human and social capital as other kids to grow and develop in their schools, in their families and in our community.
Some of our kids are experiencing barriers that prevent them from enjoying opportunities many of us take for granted such as: having books to read at an early age—enough good food to fuel their growing minds and bodies—the ability to have and play a band instrument or participate in an after school activity or sport—a mentor to care about them, support them and believe in their future—transportation that allows their family to attend community events, get to school conferences, get to doctors’ appointments or even spend a day enjoying our beautiful shoreline and its many outdoor activities.
The purpose of Opportunity Rising is to bring us all together as a community to forge a path to better opportunity for ALL OF OUR KIDS.
- Working together as people from all backgrounds, incomes, ethnicities, beliefs and neighborhoods.
- Restoring a stronger sense of community encouraging more individuals, organizations and businesses to embrace all children and families as “our kids” and “our neighbors.”
- Eliminating barriers to participation in community and in/out of school programs.
- Finding ways to connect more children and parents with another caring adult who supports them and genuinely believes in their futures.
- Providing more support for early childhood education, including programs that support parents.
- Matching families experiencing poverty with advocates to assist in navigating support networks.
OUR PROMISE TO ALL OUR KIDS
When we rise for our kids, we all rise. So I promise to:
Recognize the growing gap between those with opportunity and those without
Initiate action to effect change, one life at a time
Share stories and resources with my family, neighbors and community
Empower all kids to have equal opportunities to live up to their potential, independent of place and race
When you sign the petition, your name will be added to this list. If you would prefer to remain anonymous, please type “Anonymous” as your name in the field. Your email address is required, but you will not receive any emails unless you select the box asking to receive updates.